Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ex-Christiaity Doesn't Exist

An interesting thing happened to me today which is why I'm writing again on this topic. This is going to be a little different than the norm because this is experiential. Because part of being a Christian is experiencing God and all that entails.

This afternoon, I talked for two hours with a lady who, in that short time, I came to love. I was thinking about the afternoon over and over in my mind after I got home, connecting all the dots that brought the two of us to that place at that time, and something occurred to me. This overwhelming, overflowing joy that I had just shared with someone I had hardly spoken to before, that which I was and am still experiencing - this awe of God, this love, this peace, this sense of right and belonging - is not something you can walk away from.

You can cut your leg off. You can leave your beloved spouse. You can take your life. But you CANNOT walk away from God. If you know Him, you cannot leave Him because He's just TOO incredible. You cannot NOT want this feeling again and again. You think sex feels good? You think drugs are addictive? You think smoking is relaxing? You think alcohol is freeing?

Pick anything! It cannot compare. People are drawn to feeling good. And you know what? NOTHING feels as good as being in communion with God, as worshiping Him, as delighting in Him, as LOVING Him and being so enormously loved BY Him. And anyone who has actually felt that, who has lived without Him and then experienced life with Him, cannot WANT to leave it again. There's not a person who is wired that way.

Therefore, by virtue of God being so delightful, so pleasing, and so fulfilling, ex-Christianity cannot exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment