Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Freedom To Do Good

I have a feeling this is going to be a lot of fun. I especially like this topic.

I was going to write a huge paragraph about the lack of logic behind the thinking that says, "There is a creator, but he's not the one who gave me a conscience that tells me to some extent what I ought to do, or ought not to do." But I get the feeling this is going to be long enough as is, so I'll leave it at that. Email if you want more.

Once again, Threnody is approaching her topic from the direction that says, "I must earn; I owe." It's extremely clear from Scripture that this is not the proper attitude that a Christian ought to have. Do we at times? Yes. We sin, and as much as we hate sin, the motions of sin - the habits, the thought processes - are still there with us.

The Bible says that God loves a cheerful giver, not one who gives grudgingly, or out of necessity. In the context of the NT, this is talking about offerings - generally monetary - given to the church for the welfare of the believers. However, the principle is universal. God wants our hearts - not just our mouths or our hands and feet. He wants all of us. This is the beauty of salvation. God doesn't MAKE us surrender, doesn't MAKE us give our all, doesn't MAKE us offer up our lives in service. God changes us so that we WANT to surrender. There's a funny old song that says, "God does not compel us to go against our will; He just makes us willing to go."

God shows us Who He is, and we feel overwhelmed that He would even allow us to serve Him - but He goes so much farther than that. He is the father in the story of the prodigal son, who, when the son comes and begs to just be a servant, the father takes him in again and restores him completely, celebrating him. God doesn't just take us and make us slaves - though that would be more than gracious and hugely merciful - He makes us His children. Heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ. How can a person see all that God has done for them and not do everything they can to further His glory, to further His goals, to spread the good news?

We aren't MADE to serve because we're Christians. We're ABLE to serve because we're Christians - we're allowed to serve because He changed our outlook, changed the reason behind the action. Since God asks for our heart, anything done without the heart in it is as worthless as if you did nothing. But something as simple as eating - with the right heart - can be to the glory of God. Think about that. I can eat good food and if I do it with a right heart, it pleases God. How is that not the lightest burden ever??? Like little kids who have it so simple. Their parents are happy if they eat their food and go to sleep. I eat and thank God for food and glorify Him by acknowledging that it's only by His grace and love that I have it; and He's pleased. I eat with the right heart and God is happy. That is just incredible.

Threnody has not been freed to do good - she's been freed from trying to please God, which Romans 8 tells us is impossible for the carnal mind (which, in the context, is juxtaposed with the spiritual mind; the mind set on God). Hebrews 11:1 tells us without faith it's impossible to please Him. Threnody CAN'T do anything good, and neither can anyone else who denies the God of the Bible. This makes it completely understandable though, why she would feel such relief. She's been trying to do this list of "good" things for the wrong reasons, pleasing neither God nor herself. Now, she doesn't have to worry about trying to please God. She can just do whatever makes her happy.

Can't unsaved people do nice things? Give cookies to their neighbors, make a meal for someone ill? Of course. But they can't do it with the right motives. They could live outward lives that were completely in line with the Bible and never do anything GOOD because good is defined by God; and God requires the heart. God requires motive.

The freedom to do good comes from loving God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind. We don't serve Him out of trying to repay Him for our failures, or because we're trying to earn His favor. We already HAVE His favor - that's why Jesus came to die for ME - because God already loved me. I'm not part of a chain-gang where the Warden's wrath comes down on me if I fail. I'm a beloved child. He's not my warden; He's my Daddy.

I'm a daddy's girl. When my dad told me to come help him with something around the house, I would be there there as fast as I could! I loved helping him with things. I have small hands and he'd often ask me to stick them in places where his larger fingers couldn't get to. (Makes me happy just remembering, hehe.) My dad wasn't ASKING me for help. He would call and I would come, but if I hadn't come, I'd have gotten in trouble because he was the authority. But that didn't make my happiness to help any less. I was THRILLED if I could do what he wanted, and so disappointed with myself if I couldn't.

That is what God wants. He tells us to do things, to go places, to stay away from things. That doesn't mean I'm forced into it with a ball and chain. I WANT to do what He asks. Because I love Him. Because He loved me. He saved me from Hell and sin; and He saved me to eternal life forever with Him. God is not a warden; and I am no longer in chains to sin. God has made me free to please Him - and pleasing Him is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment