Friday, February 17, 2012

To My Parents

Before getting into this blog post, I'll address some interesting happenings. Threnody has discovered that I exist, so now there are posts addressed specifically to me. I tried commenting but due to something - computer errors, them not liking it, or who knows what - it didn't go up; maybe it will later. I'm not going to reiterate the important stuff right now - I'll get to that (and so much more!) when I get to that particular post. Suffice to say, I'm excited. I mean, the reason I started this blog was to show an alternative to their belief system, and that Christianity isn't all that they are claiming - open discussion is good for that.

Now, back to our regular programming. :)

This is a very nice poem. Something I've discovered from reading Threnody's blogs is that she is an accomplished poet. I relate somewhat because whenever I am particularly emotional about something, it comes out in one of three ways - poetry, music, or cleaning. Plus, poems are cool. On a smaller scale, I also relate to the content of the poem. I thought about giving my background and explaining why, but honestly that's just not what this blog is about. I think it's enough if I say that at one point, I could have penned a poem very similar. (If you want my back story, send me an email.) And since there isn't really anything else to discuss on this one - I guess we finally get a short post! Woot, woot! Maybe I'll cover four posts this week.

5 comments:

  1. while reading your alternatives, i have been finding some very interesting things to contemplate. i have seen their blog, and i'm starting to see many of the inconsistencies even though they don't yet seem to see them themselves. perhaps you may have more to offer than they. but, i do have one question, if you are right, why does it feel like the "alternative" is weak? meaning, why are you giving them so much freedom to be wrong, if they actually are? should not you simply state that they are wrong rather than admiring their work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Varda, I got an email saying you had commented, but when I went to approve it, it wasn't there. Would you please post your comment again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, so if my reply makes no sense, it's because I'm kind of shooting in the dark.

    Everyone has the freedom to be wrong simply because we can't change others - only God can do that. It doesn't matter how many times I say, "You're wrong." And I'm quite sure that they probably don't need another voice in their lives telling them that. From what they've said, they know very well that people think they're wrong. Also, I think I've been very clear in my blogs about what I think they're wrong about. So. . . it's not like I'm never saying they're wrong.

    That I admire something about them, or something that they've done, in no way detracts from my arguments. In fact, if I DIDN'T admire things like standing up for what you think is right, or honesty - just because it comes from someone that I don't agree with - THAT would be hypocrisy. I admire honesty because God is truth - it doesn't matter who it is that happens to be showing it. Just because people aren't right on everything - or even most things - that doesn't mean they should be written off as having nothing to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally wrote a snarky comment on this when there was only one comment (does that make me a hipster?) but Charter decided to eat my Internet just as I hit "publish." I didn't feel like rewriting it, but it did include something similar to this gem: "It is okay to admire us, because we are awesome. You can agree with this statement intellectually, because we are intelligent, and artistically, because we're talented, even if you don't agree with it theologically, because we're heathens."

    ReplyDelete