Monday, April 2, 2012

Context

I feel this post is going to need a bit of preface. First, here's the original post by Lalaith.

Now for the preface. Quotes are fun things; I like them. However, I can make any person say anything if I just take snippets of what they said and make them into quotes. If you do that, the Bible even says, "There is no God." Of course, the previous part of that is, "The fool says in his heart." Context is extremely important - especially when you're going back in history far enough that you're in a different era and in a different country. Words don't always mean to us what they meant to people back then or to people on the other side of the world.

I'll bet that if I went through Untwisting and took out little snippets of what they've said, I could make up some very funny and insane sounding things (and they could do the same to me). And it would be extremely annoying, if not, downright insulting to do that to them. Now, understand that I'm not trying to say that Lalaith is purposefully taking things out of context to fit her ends. However, if you take things without a context, without looking at a context, you run the very high risk of misrepresenting - and it doesn't seem like she worried about that at all. If she did do research on the quotes, she didn't bother posting anything about it.

Onward, to the actual post. Reading the quotes, I don't really know what Luther was talking about when he said them, and honestly, I don't feel that it's my job to go find out. I do know that Luther engaged in debate - both verbal and written - that when he was told to recant, his reply was that if they could convince him by Scripture and sound reasoning, then he would. So, obviously, either he grew up from his former position, or those quotes should not be taken at face value.

I also know that Luther was known for his hot-headedness, and it would not at all surprise me if he later regretted some of the things that he said in the heat of the moment. Perhaps, not for what he meant, but how he said it. There are also things that I think he took for granted that people would just understand. For instance, the comment about the Pope. Obviously, the Pope couldn't have been the Devil because the Devil is a spirit, not a man. I think Luther understood that that very basic fact and probably could have phrased his words better, but he was not the kind of person to beat about the bush when what he wanted to get across was the that Pope was doing the will of the Devil. Why say with ten words what you can say with five?

I don't know if people weren't as picky back then about using just the right word or if he just only cared about answering the people who were going to put a little effort into understanding what he was saying. Either way, all of those quotes seem to be geared toward specific people, people who have a background, or who are in the middle of a conversation or something. Like, if I were telling my mom a story, I would tell it differently than if I were telling someone I don't know as well. My mom and I know each other really well. I know that if I say something that other people might take a bad way, she knows me well enough to know how I ACTUALLY meant it.

Lastly, though I believe Luther did a lot of good in his life and was very much used of God, he was a man. He had to have said SOME things that were wrong. There is nothing wrong with reason. If that really is what he was trying to say (though I don't believe it), then he was wrong. God gave us the capacity for reasoning and the capacity for faith - the two are not supposed to be parted and there is nothing in the Bible that would indicate that they should. The Apostle Paul REASONED in the synagogues habitually. And that should answer the Ignatius quote as well.

4 comments:

  1. I have nothing against this post, save the very end: the Apostle Paul reasoned in the synagogues, yes. But he was reasoning very specifically. He was reasoning that Jesus of Nazareth fulfilled the ancient prophecies and was in fact the Messiah. So, he was reasoning within the confine of faith, not about faith itself. That doesn't necessarily mean that faith doesn't stand up to reason, just that perhaps that exact example is not really the best, given the context of what we are discussing.

    I hold you to high logical and grammatical standards because I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he also reasoned on Mars Hill, which was dealing with people who were of a totally different ideology. I'm not sure what you're defining as "within the confine of faith" as opposed to "about faith itself." If it's within faith, wouldn't that just means it's at a further step along the way? About faith itself would just more towards the beginning - but they would still both be using reason alongside faith. I don't see why those two things need to be divided.

      Delete
  2. We as humans are certainly flawed. We all have said things that we regret. For things that we say or write, we never know when someone will save it and use it against us either just as seems to be the case with Luther here. But, this should give us more pause and heed the words of James in regards to the power of the tongue.

    Yes, reason can be a great thing and a dangerous thing. Especially when we reason within ourselves. After all, the heart is deceitful above all things, and we as humans are incredibly gifted at self-preservation, especially to the point of justification and self-deception. The phrase "whatever helps you sleep at night" rings true far more than ever before in this day and age where we can find so many voices out there to agree or disagree with our personal viewpoints. In many ways, this is sad, for this allows us to get lazy and not actually weigh and try the argument we are building up within ourselves for the beliefs we share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point about James and the power of the tongue.

      Delete