Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Close-minded

So today I find another post about a journey. Apparently, trips are very popular this time of year. ;) (It's a joke, people.) There's not much here to hit on for the same reasons as the other one - the reasons are personal.

The one thing though that did jump out at me was this section, "Why do you believe anything? If " because God/The Bible says so" is sufficient reason for you to believe something, then I cannot reason with you." She then says that everyone who can't consider the idea that the Bible is wrong cannot be "open-minded."

This basically sounds like the whole "ultimate truth doesn't exist" thing. Which is so dumb, because in saying that, you're declaring an ultimate truth. Even if nothing else were true, that one thing would be. But that's a different topic.

There is always something that is true; there is always something that is trusted; there is always something that is believed right. Here's the thing, Lalaith says that if (we'll use me for an example) I don't allow for the possibility that the Bible is false, that I am therefore close-minded. However, that's kind of close-minded. Because she's not making any room for the person who has done their study and come out on the other side believing even more firmly that the Bible IS true.

Lalaith has seen things and has come to the conclusion that the Bible is false; in her mind that is the only logical choice. However, from what I have heard, I have seen all the same things, done my research, and come to the conclusion that the Bible is true. Is one of us being close-minded because of that? Do you think that there are no Christians who have considered whether or not the Bible is false? There are people who have come to Christianity by trying to PROVE that it's false! By trying to disprove God, they have come TO God!

Were they close-minded? Are they now because they no longer need to think about the Bible being false?

The only reason to question your beliefs is if you're not sure why you believe them. If you don't know what you believe or why, question what you believe. But understand, that no matter what your beliefs are, they have to measure up to something.

I don't believe the Bible just because; I don't believe the Bible because I was raised that way; I don't believe the Bible because it tells me to. I believe the Bible because of what it is. I believe the Bible because of what it has done. I believe the Bible because of what it contains.

That is not close-minded. That is logical. And if I believe the Bible, then "because the Bible says so" is a perfectly sound reason. If the Bible is already proven, there is no need to question it as a foundation.

3 comments:

  1. I think the point Lalaith was trying to make, and the point I have tried to make in the past, is not that believing the Bible is false is the only logical path. I want to make you (or anyone) question whether the Bible is true, not just narrow-mindedly accept that it is true without question, sort of a "it's true because it says it's true" sort of thing. After all, if you don't believe Lalaith and I are right just because we say we are, why do you believe anything else is? I think the point she was trying to make is (and I say "I think" because I can't read her mind) is that you need to be willing to question what you have always taken as truth, in order to build stronger beliefs. This isn't just us saying this. I've even had excellent Christian counselors tell me to question things. Question them, and if you come out a greater believer in the Bible than before, that's great! More power to you! It's just that until you are willing to dig deeper and stop closing your eyes, sticking your fingers in your ears, and saying "It's true because it is!", you aren't going to have as deep of faith (or nonfaith) as you would have otherwise. It sounds like you've already done this, at least somewhat. Good for you! You aren't the only reader out there, though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that was her point, then it sounds like we agree. :) It didn't seem to me that there was any room made for the people who have already "been there/done that." It sounded to me like she was saying, "If you aren't willing to CONTINUE to question it..." - as if there is no end, as if it cannot be proven. That was where I took issue.

    But if her point was just that questioning should be done, my post is off the subject. I think, still valid though. Thanks for the other view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, varda and threnody. Cannot build stronger beliefs without first having some doubt or questioning. In the end, there is only one truth though. In the end, we will find out what that is.

    ReplyDelete